perl-unicode

Re: Converting string to UTF-16LE

2004-03-02 10:30:06
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 20:55:14 +0000 Nick Ing-Simmons
<nick(_at_)ing-simmons(_dot_)net> wrote:

lib/unicore/To/Upper.pl includes a toupper mapping of ñ to Ñ properly.

while you are getting attention to the

unicore/To/Upper.pl

file, you may also want to note that I have found a very nasty bug
related to this file, as well as to the files

unicore/To/Lower.pl
unicore/To/Fold.pl

which I have reported using the suggested perlbug tool back on January
6, but nobody has yet responded to it. Tha bug report is still online
at

http://bugs6.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=24826

In short, I discoverd that these files cause *all* string operations
on utf8 strings to be very slooow! Removing the

'%utf8::ToSpecFUNCTION = (...)'

definitions from these files increased the speed on a simple test
regex with Perl 5.8.2 from 77 to 9 seconds on a Windows machine and
from 775 s to 66 s on a (slower) BSD/OS system!!!

rob.