perl-unicode

Re: Variation In Decoding Between Encode and XML::LibXML

2010-06-16 17:47:21
On Jun 16, 2010, at 3:07 PM, John Delacour wrote:

When I open your attachment 'try.pl' in BBEdit it has Mac encoding and Mac
linefeeds and five invisible characters that I haven't analysed wherever you
have double line-spacing.  And if I tell BBEdit to re-open the file as utf-8
I get the warning "The UTF-8 file 'try.pl' is damaged or badly formed, so it
looks to me as if your editor may be at fault.

I have BBEdit set to create new documents with UTF-8 encoding and UNIX line
feeds and to use UTF-8 for I/O.  I gather you don't use BBEdit.

No, but it looks wrong in both GNU Emacs and in TextMate. I really don't
understand why Encode doesn't strip it out or throw an exception (depending on
whether CHECK is set to 0 or 1). That's the big question in my mind.

Best,

David