RE: Diagnosing duplicate mail from procmail mailinglists

1996-01-25 16:35:07
On Thu, 25 Jan 1996 alexandr(_at_)louie(_dot_)udel(_dot_)edu wrote:

:## ELIMINATES DUPLICATE MESSAGES WITH SAME MESSAGE ID
:
::0 Wh: msgid.lock
:| $FORMAILZ -D 32768 $PMDIR/cache.msgid

Now I'm assuming that this will take care of multiple mailing lists
that drop mail into the same folder.  What if you have a message that
goes to multiple lists and those list are stored in different
folders?

It doesn't care about folders. If it's the first thing processed, it will
check the cache.msgid and see if the message-id already came through. If
it did, then it gets dropped. If it didn't, then it proceeds. Of course,
the duplicate copies have to arrive close enough that the message id will
still be in the file, but the size I set above should last long enough.

This won't catch ALL duplicate messages, but if they have the same
message ID you can be sure they're duplicates. In which case, the copy
that DOES get through will go to whatever conditions it matches,
depending on your setup.

Or is the cache.msgid universal and not just specific to each folder?

It's universal. I'm sure you could probably make it folder specific
without much trouble. Just insert it in each seperate recipe file and
then make the cache.msgid name unique for each recipe file/folder.

 | Brock Rozen  | Internet: brozen(_at_)netvoyage(_dot_)net                    |
 |     Check out my homepage at  http://www.netvoyage.net/~brozen      |
 | For automated information on various subjects, send an e-mail to my |
 |        Internet address with SEND HELP on the SUBJECT line.         |