Re: mail2news perl problem

1996-01-29 10:04:56
max(_at_)texmicro(_dot_)com (Max Heffler) writes:
I get errors in my procmail log.  I am trying to set up a recipe to deal
with the errors, which come from the mail2news perl script posted.
The problem seems to be having the perl script return the error status.
If I manually execute "echo fish|/usr/local/news/inews", I get a return
status of 1.  If I use the following loop in my mail2news script:
the :e recipe is not taken.  I am assuming that the mail2news script is
not returning the error status.  My recipe is:

-

:0
* ^Subject:.*xyzzy
| /usr/local/share/mail2news texmicro.test

:0 e:
/home/max/.procmail/errors
yet no "/home/max/.procmail/errors" file.

From the procmailrc(5) manpage:

     Flags can be any of the following:
     w    Wait for the filter or program to finish and check  its
          exitcode  (normally  ignored);  if the filter is unsuc-
          cessful, then the text will not have been filtered.

     W    Has the same meaning as the `w' flag, but will suppress
          any `Program failure' message.

You need to place one of those on the mail2news recipe.  Otherwise,
procmail ignores the return code of the mail2news action.

Philip Guenther

Philip Guenther                 UNIX Systems and Network Administrator
Internet: guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu   Phonenet: (507) 933-7596
Gustavus Adolphus College       St. Peter, MN 56082-1498
Source code never lies (it just misleads).  (Programming by Purloined Letter?)