Re: procmail does not deliver

1996-02-27 20:43:37
Ingo Luetkebohle <dodger(_at_)HRZ(_dot_)Uni-Bielefeld(_dot_)DE> writes:
I installed procmail as my default delivery agent in sendmail.cf as the
man-page suggested to. I did this by replacing 'deliver' in sendmail.cf
with procmail (and, of course, replacing the path) and adding the -d
flag. Procmail does not deliver any mail, though - it just ends up in the
nirvana. When calling procmail directly, on the commandline, and feeding
a mail into it, it waits forever for the lock file. The .forward
mechanism doesn't work, either.

It sounds like either your procmail is bad (what did the locking tests
show when you configured it?) or your .procmailrc does something bad
like putting a global lock on something followed by an attempt to put a
local in the same place.  If you turn verbose logging on in your
.procmailrc, what does it show?

My main problem is that I can't seem to find documentation for sendmail
beside the man-page and that one really isn't helpful! I am running the
Slackware Distribution of Linux. I couldn't even find docs describing how
a '.forward' file should look like and the examples didn't work :-(

The sendmail documention to end all sendmail documentation is the Bat
book from O'Reilly.  However, it's only really necessary if you're
doing direct sendmail work.  It sounds like your main problem is
getting a working procmail.  Get that fixed before you start worrying
about buying sendmail documentation.

Philip Guenther

Philip Guenther                 UNIX Systems and Network Administrator
Internet: guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu   Phonenet: (507) 933-7596
Gustavus Adolphus College       St. Peter, MN 56082-1498
Source code never lies (it just misleads).  (Programming by Purloined Letter?)