audience for a procmail book?

1996-03-14 16:53:36
Hi All,

I recently started working for O'Reilly & Associates as a writer and I'm
writing a proposal for a procmail book and I have some questions for you
all. First, please be aware that I'm just writing a proposal and there's
no guarantee that it will be accepted.

The main question I have is who would be the audience for this book. Since
procmail currently runs only on Unix, I think the audience is:

1] Unix sys admins
2] Unix users using any mail program that can access mbox or mh folders
   (pine, elm, emacs mail mode, mail, mh, and more)
3] Windows, Macintosh, OS/2, Amiga, etc. users using a mail client
   that can access multiple mail folders on a Unix server (probably
   using IMAP)
4] Users of "Internet boxes" that access their mail folders on a Unix
   server (again probably using IMAP)

Note that in order for users in category 3 and 4 to use procmail they will
need to be able to access and update their procmail files on their Unix
host.

Can you think of anyone else who would be in the audience?  Do any of you
have a sense of the future of IMAP?  If IMAP catches on, then the number
of people in category 3 and 4 could be quite large.

If this proposal is accepted, I'll use my Filtering Mail FAQ and my
"Procmail FAQ *Outline* as starting points. Any and all suggestions are
welcome!

Thanks,
Nancy