Re: audience for a procmail book?

1996-03-16 10:25:18
 Jonathan said:

      Soren

 On Fri, 15 Mar 1996, Soren Dayton wrote:
 > I think
 > that procmail just isn't big enough to be a book.   what things do people

      Compare Procmail with PGP.

  Ok.

      PGP is a very easy to use
      program, without reading the documentation.

  And virtually impossible to integrate with any user agent out there.

      The books on PGP are basically the documentation, with
      lots of examples thrown in.

  Recall that I am _agreeing_ that this is one sort of book that one
might want, but I don ot think that it is `necessary'.

 > have trouble with?  the syntax.  regex.  shell scripting issues.. what
 > else?  Logic..

      A chronic lack of examples in the manual pages for starters.

  true.  there is a mailing list though.  THere are enough people that
have stuff available on the net (via procmail based autoreply recipes!)
that this could be solved by a couple of pointeres in the documentation
(rather than a book).

      << Should I also point out that the examples in the
      manual pages _don't_ always work, as written.  >>

  Like which?

 > the distributions rather than a book (that is going to be too expensive :)

      How much is the typical O'Reillyy book -- something in the
      $25 to $35 range.  Compare that to the typical computer book
      --- $35 - $50.

  I would rather buy a collection of poetry. I would enjoy it more...

Soren