Re: audience for a procmail book?

1996-03-16 14:10:06
On Mar 16, 11:11am, Soren Dayton wrote:

    PGP is a very easy to use
    program, without reading the documentation.

  And virtually impossible to integrate with any user agent out there.
elm+PGP do a pretty decent job...('cept it puts a silly applicatiion/pgp
as the mime type, making things tough on zmail)

    The books on PGP are basically the documentation, with
    lots of examples thrown in.

  Recall that I am _agreeing_ that this is one sort of book that one
might want, but I don ot think that it is `necessary'.
what constitutes necessary for you? not that it matters, since
there are probably a ton of books that i feel aren't necessary, but
apparently were, for some folks (& they're actually better off
for it!)

it's a Good Thing for me to have everything Under One Roof,
so i won't have to go & grep around the internet, and this
mailing list all the time for answers.

  true.  there is a mailing list though.  THere are enough people that
have stuff available on the net (via procmail based autoreply recipes!)
that this could be solved by a couple of pointeres in the documentation
(rather than a book).
there is also a lot of traffic on the mailing list, the mailing
list has no appendix, answers a bunch of different types of
questions at different times, making it a chore to go & gather
related items (or in my case, not even KNOWING what is related
so i can group them)

    How much is the typical O'Reillyy book -- something in the
    $25 to $35 range.  Compare that to the typical computer book
    --- $35 - $50.

  I would rather buy a collection of poetry. I would enjoy it more...
of course you would; you know procmail.
i'd rather purchase the procmail book.  my "Java in a nutshell" book
went for $14.95.  i think that i'd definitely spend around $20 for
a good book on procmail.

or, soren, would you be willing to gather all this info
into One Single Place, index it, and group it into nice
little sections so we can see where we're going?

(& make sure to put it into .ps format for easy printing!)

i'm not a mail guru. i like procmail. i don't have time to weed
thru man pages to figure it out (i don't like it *that* much).
i'd like a book to sit next to me as i try out stuff. i'd like
a book i can read when i'm else where, so i can try the stuff
out that i read when i get to my computer.

count me in as someone in the audience for a procmail book.

j.

--
jon madison
mailto:jm(_at_)iquest(_dot_)net