Re: audience for a procmail book?

1996-03-16 01:56:03
 Walter said:

On Fri, 15 Mar 1996, Bob Weissman wrote:

I wouldn't buy it.  Probably most of the folks on this mailing list
wouldn't buy it; we're the procmail cognoscenti.

The people who need the book are (a) the people who don't know procmail
exists but are looking for something like it, and (b) the people who are
frustrated by procmail's accurate, but terse, documentation.

Well, most of the system folks I know must not be hi-IQ genuies becasue
we all refer to the O'Rielly books when we wish to double check info or
see if there is a better way.

  Certainly.  I worship my sendmail and DNS books.  And I would kill for
teh BSD 4.4 books.  And I am very impressed by the MH  book, but that
does not seem the audience.  This seems more like the perl and bash
books which in the case of the perl book mostly just the manpages.

  The reason that I am impressed by teh DNS and sendmail books is that
they are outstanding references (in most cases).  I have not seen
anything that got neaer to the quality of either (the papers that are
included in the sendmail distribution are sort of good... but I never
had access to a postscript printer :)  They fill real voids.  Does such
a void exist?  I do not think so.  There are plenty of excellent
examples on this list.  There is really excellent documentation.
There are a bunch of helpful people on this list.

BEsides, I have users that ask about books to learn more on this stuff.

  This is quite true...  Personally, I would rather point them at
Bulgakov and tell them to leave computers alone though...

Soren