Problems with formail (2nd time)

1996-05-21 02:55:11
Not sure if this ever made to the list the first time so I'm sending it
again.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards.

jte

------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
  John Ellis +353-21-511-487  | "For a successful technology, reality must
  Motorola Cellular - Cork    |  take precedence over public relations, for
  ellis(_at_)cig(_dot_)mot(_dot_)com           |  Nature cannot be fooled."
Richard P. Feynman

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 13:05:31 +0100 (BST)
From: John T Ellis <ellis(_at_)cork(_dot_)cig(_dot_)mot(_dot_)com>
To: procmail-d(_at_)Informatik(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
Subject: Problems with formail

To all,

Howdy.  I've never had any problems with my .procmailrc file until just
recently when my sysadmin began using restriced shell for mail.  Here's the
story.

I have three recipes which use formail (see attachment 1).  These were
working fine in a facility in Beijing for two+ years.  In addition, they
were working fine here in Ireland until the sysadmin changed over to
restricted mail.

The procmail binary is located in /usr/misc/bin.  The formail binary is
located in ~ellis/bin.  The error messages I receive for each recipe are
different (see attachment 2).  In the first two cases, it looks as if
there is a permissions problem.  The two files in question are set for
600.  This was working fine before.  This makes me wonder if when doing
a restricted shell if the userid of the process is different.

For the third recipe, the logfile shows that the recipe is executed.
However, when I look at the timestamp and size of the file, there are no
changes.  What's happening there?  Again, the permissions are 660.

Can anyone point me in a direction to resolve these issues?

Thanks much beforehand.

jte

----- Attachment 1 -----

(1)
#------------------------------------------------
# Ensure I don't get duplicate mail messages.
#------------------------------------------------
:0 Wh: msgid.lock              # w produces (non-fatal) error msg
| /cladach/user16/users/ellis/bin/formail -D 8192 .msgid.cache

(2)
#------------------------------------------------
# Mail to procmail digest
#------------------------------------------------
:0
* ^Subject:.*procmail-d Digest
* ^To: procmail-d(_at_)Informatik(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
| /cladach/user16/users/ellis/bin/formail +1 -ds >>procmail

(3)
#------------------------------------------------------------------
# Grab the mail id for all mail messages that come to me.  Ignore
# POSTMASTER, DAEMON and my own mail.
#------------------------------------------------------------------
:0Whci:from_user.lock
* !^FROM_DAEMON
* !^FROM_MAILER
* !^Resent-(From|To):
* !^From.*ellis
| /cladach/user16/users/ellis/bin/formail -zx From: >> $USERLOG; sort -u -o
$USERLOG $USERLOG

----- End Attachment 1 -----

----- Attachment 2 -----

(1)
procmail: Locking "msgid.lock"
procmail: Executing "formail,-D,8192,.msgid.cache"
procmail: Program failure (1) of "formail"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=formail -D 8192 .msgid.cache"
procmail: Unlocking "msgid.lock"

(2)
procmail: Match on "^Subject:.*procmail-d Digest"
procmail: Match on "^To: procmail-d(_at_)Informatik(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE"
procmail: Executing " /cladach/user16/users/ellis/bin/formail +1 -ds
procmail"
procmail: Error while writing to "
/cladach/user16/users/ellis/bin/formail +1 -ds >>procmail"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER= /cladach/user16/users/ellis/bin/formail
+1 -ds >>procmail"

(3)
procmail: Locking "from_user.lock"
procmail: Executing " formail -zx From: >> $USERLOG; sort -u -o $USERLOG
$USERLOG"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER= formail -zx From: >> $USERLOG; sort -u
-o $USERLOG $USERLOG"
procmail: Unlocking "from_user.lock"

----- End Attachment 2 -----

----- Begin Attachment 3 -----

procmail v3.10 1994/10/31 written and created by Stephen R. van den Berg

berg(_at_)pool(_dot_)informatik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de

Submit questions/answers to the procmail-related mailinglist by sending
to:
        procmail(_at_)informatik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de

And of course, subscription and information requests for this list to:
        procmail-request(_at_)informatik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de

Locking strategies:     dotlocking, flock()
Default rcfile:         $HOME/.procmailrc
System mailbox:         /usr/spool/mail/$LOGNAME

----- End Attachment 3 -----

  John Ellis +353-21-511-487  |  Technology is dominated by those who
  Motorola Cellular - Cork    |      manage what they do not understand.
  ellis(_at_)cig(_dot_)mot(_dot_)com           |