Re: limiting a variable and saving address info

1996-05-25 13:51:00

On Fri, 24 May 1996, Gino Filicetti wrote:

Now what I want to do with $NAME is limit it so it can be no more than 25
characters in length, AND if $NAME is blank, I want it to contain the same
contents as $FROM_ADDRESS...

The truncate question was already answered by Soren:
:0
* NAME ?? .
* NAME ?? ^^\/.{1,25}
{ NAME = $MATCH }

:E
{ NAME = "$FROM_ADDRESS" }

One little error corrected: the second ?? was missing.

Also, I have an autoresponder set up much like the one in the procmailex
man page.... it works like a charm, but the only thing I want to do is
save information about everyone that uses my autoresponder in a log
file.... something like their Address and which file they requested, one
line per person in the log file......

For the logging, use:

# Save the old logfile value
OLDLOGFILE=$LOGFILE
LOGFILE=autorespond.log

# Remark that the closing quotes are on the next line.
LOG="Responded to $NAME
"

# restore to the normal logfile
LOGFILE=$OLDLOGFILE

- --
Guy Geens <guy(_dot_)geens(_at_)elis(_dot_)rug(_dot_)ac(_dot_)be>: Ph.D.
student at ELIS -- TFCG / IMEC
Home Page: http://www.elis.rug.ac.be/ELISgroups/tfcg/staff/gg.html
finger ggeens(_at_)elis(_dot_)rug(_dot_)ac(_dot_)be for PGP public keys (or use
keyserver)

"...Alcohol is a social stimulant.  It warms one and brings one closer
to people.  Mushrooms whirl you inside, too close to yourself.  They
produce a temporary therapeutic pyschosis.  I never felt better.
But there's no wisdom there.  I solved the secret of the universe
last night, but this morning forgot what it was."