Procmail & unsolicited(unwanted) email

1996-05-25 17:54:24
Hello, everyone.

I just joined this list, and I began learning how to use procmail the
other day.  I got the filtering FAQ, and downloaded copies of the man
pages.  I ran the test and mailing list examples, and all went well.

Now, I would like to use procmail to trash (kill) and/or autobounce
unsolicited email.  I have gotten three of these types of messages
this week, two of them apparently from Interramp and one from either
internet.com and/or gnn.com.  I went through the suggested procedures
of forwarding such mail to postmasters and/or abuse.* and support.*.
However, I get the feeling that this is not enough.  I would rather
not even see such email, when I download my messages.

According to all of the information that I have gathered, this seems
to be a common example of a recipe (?) to use:

:1
^From.*interramp.com
/dev/nul

Would this be enough to trash email from this site?  Or, would it be
better to modify this, so that wanted mail from this site could be
sent to me?  Also, what would be a good alternative for bouncing email
back to the sender, in such cases?

I am quite new at this.  However, I really would like to get a good,
working plan in place to help me filter out such nonsense.  Any ideas,
suggestions, or whatever are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Debra Walker

--
Debra Walker         debraw(_at_)wwa(_dot_)com (preferred)
dwalker433(_at_)aol(_dot_)com