Re: I need procmail to "bounce" a message to the sender

1996-05-29 07:05:00
Sacha Sardo Infirri <sacha(_at_)kurims(_dot_)kyoto-u(_dot_)ac(_dot_)jp> writes:
Thanks for your advice Philip.

I've now set up procmail on another machine where I have root
access.  The standard .forward works fine, and the bounce recipe
also, but I have two further problems:

1. The bounced message contains:
["User unknown" bounce message which shows the procmail command being run]
Is there any way of not including this in the bounced message?

Yes.  If procmail is your local delivery agent (not run out of .forward files)
then sendmail says something like:

    The original message was received at Wed, 29 May 1996 08:55:47 -0500
    from guenther(_at_)lunen(_dot_)gac(_dot_)edu [138.236.128.17]

       ----- The following addresses had delivery problems -----
    <guenther>  (unrecoverable error)

    550 <guenther>... User unknown

       ----- Original message follows -----

Or at least that's what it did for me here with sendmail 8.6

2. Another funny thing is that procmail is writing "Please check
  the address and try again" (without the quotes) to a file
  named 2 inside MAILDIR.
:0 ih
|echo "Please check the address and try again" >&2

It looks like it's using csh/tcsh instead of sh.  Add the line

SHELL = /bin/sh

to the top of your .procmailrc

Philip Guenther