Transient failure with procmail

1996-06-27 18:17:44
I'm fairly new to procmail, but I've managed to read through the FAQ,
set up procmail, and write a few simple recipes.

Now I've learned that not all my e-mail is reaching me, and that for
some e-mail procmail appears to fail with a transient error.

Here's one error message that was forwarded to me.

   ----- The following addresses have delivery notifications -----
"|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #dkanagy"
(transient failure)
    (expanded from: <dkanagy(_at_)GOL(_dot_)COM>)

451 mailer prog died with signal 13
Arguments: sh -c IFS=' ' && exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #dkanagy
"|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #dkanagy"... Deferred
Warning: message still undelivered after 8 hours
Will keep trying until message is 3 days old

According to my log file, it seems that all mail is being processed as
I want it to once procmail is invoked.  However, on occasion, it
appears that procmail fails to start.  Any suggestions as to how I
might correct this problem?

I don't know if it will help, but my .procmailrc file starts as
follows, which is basically what I found in the procmail FAQ.

#Set shell
SHELL=/bin/sh

#Set on when debugging
VERBOSE=off

#Replace ``mail'' with your mail directory (Pine uses mail, Elm uses Mail)
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail

#Directory for storing procmail log and rc files
PMDIR=$HOME/.procmail

LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log
#INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc.test

SENDMAIL=/usr/sbin/sendmail