Re: handling when procmail isn't there

1996-08-04 10:09:32
Timothy Luoma asked,

| I have this as the contents of my .forward file:
|
| "|IFS=' '&&p=/usr/local/bin/procmail&&test -f $p&&exec $p
| -Yf-||exit 75 #luomat"

[Presumably it is a single line in his .forward, and it was two lines in
 his post solely for legibility.]

| The other day my ISP changed the physical computer at which my mail
| gets delivered ...
| This new computer did not have 'procmail' installed, meaning that
| whenever email hit my .forward, it bounced back to the sender.
|
| Is there another way to handle the .forward so that if the procmail
| binary isn't there it will simply not try to forward the mail, but
| leave it at my mailspool?

Maybe this (again, it should be one long line):

"|IFS=' '&&p=/usr/local/bin/procmail&&test -f $p&&exec $p -Yf-
    ||/bin/rmail real-luomat"

When I had an account on Netcom I found that the "real-" prefix didn't work
there and one needed the \username syntax; it took four backslashes to get it
to function because, apparently, the contents of .forward got shell-scanned
twice.

At least, since the .forward owner's logname is hard-coded after the "real-"
prefix, you don't need to add it in a comment.