Re: formail -ds or -s

1996-08-04 10:25:22
| Stan Ryckman <stanr(_at_)sunspot(_dot_)tiac(_dot_)net> wrote:

| >How big is a "clump?"

Stephen van den Berg quoted from the formail(1) man page:

| FORMAIL(1)                                             FORMAIL(1)
|

|        -m minfields
|             Allows  you  to  specify  the  number  of consecutive
|             fields formail needs to find  before  it  decides  it
|             found the start of a new message, it defaults to 2.

I always wondered about -m.  I didn't know whether it set (1) how many lines
that look like headers it takes for formail -ds to decide another article is
starting or (2) how many fields of a From_ line are needed for formail -s to
decide that a line beginning with "From " truly marks the start of another
message.

Stephen, if the man page spoke of "records" there or of "headers" instead of
"fields", or if it specifically stated that -m relates to the -d facility,
that would be clearer.  Please consider rephrasing it.

| >I don't think digests come with built-in "Content-Length:" headers.

| If the digest generator is MIME compatible, it would contain
| Content-Length fields (e.g. a SmartList managed mailinglist).

But to quote again from the formail(1) man page,

       -d   Tell  formail  that  the  messages  it is supposed to
            split need not be  in  strict  mailbox  format  (i.e.
            allows  you to split digests/articles or non-standard
            mailbox formats).  This disables recognition  of  the
So if a digest article contains another piece of mail with unindented
headers, a Content-Length: header at the beginning of the article won't
help.