Re: formail -ds or -s

1996-08-05 14:31:02
Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless) wrote,

[snipped; ">" is Stephen; more quote marks are others]

| If the digest generator is MIME compatible, it would contain
| Content-Length fields (e.g. a SmartList managed mailinglist).

      -d   Tell  formail  that  the  messages  it is supposed to

           mailbox formats).  This disables recognition  of  the
So if a digest article contains another piece of mail with unindented
headers, a Content-Length: header at the beginning of the article won't
help.

Indeed.  Forgot about that.  That's why there are man pages :-).
The only recourse would be to teach formail a bit more of
MIME (or use a real MIME-tool to split the digests).

Is "Content-Length:" a MIME header only?  I'm just learning and
exploring the maze of RFC's, but haven't found the one defining that
one yet.  Didn't seem to me that this is a MIME issue... none
of the posts (OK, rarely) to that digest are MIME.  It's just a
straightforward "sucked up this article and included it here"
problem that I wrote about in the first place.

The digest I wrote about seems to me to be RFC 1153 compatible.
I somehow think there should be a digest RFC requirement that *if*
an article body contains "^From" then either it be escaped with ">"
or a "Content-Length" header added to the message.  It wouldn't
make the current formail able to handle this, but it would make
it *possible* for a future one to do so.  I'm not sure the current
standards actually permit an unambiguous splitting of digests.

Could get *really* interesting if one wanted support for a
"digest of digests" to be splittable into either separate digest
messages, or individual posters' messages.  But if the standard
were written to handle *that*, we'd have a lot less trouble with
the mundane inclusions (IMHO).

On a sort of related issue...

A couple of months ago (and for the life of me, I can't now remember
why!) I came up with a case where I would have liked formail to
generate a Content-Length: header for me.  An option to do that
might be nice, although you could also work it off the -a/-A switches
and fill in the value if empty.  Just a suggestion.

Or would piping the mail body to "wc -c" suffice?  I know blank lines
get added here and there, so the "wc" approach might be off.

Might make more sense if I could remember *why* I wanted to do that,
but the memory is the second thing to go.  (What's first?  I can't
remember.)  (Apologies to McGyver.)

Cheers,
Stan.