Re: formail -ds or -s

1996-08-03 18:14:19
dattier(_at_)wwa(_dot_)com (David W. Tamkin) wrote:

[snip]

I find it helps to think of `s' for "split" and `d' for "digest".  -s will
split only where it finds "From " after an empty line (-es will split at
"From " at the start of a line without requiring a blank line before it) ...
and even then it won't split if "From " is protected by a Content-Length:
value (unless you use the -Y option to tell formail to ignore Content-Length:
headers).  -ds does not require "From " because it is designed to separate
digest articles from one another as well as full-fledged messages from one
another; -ds will also split wherever it finds a clump of RFC822 headers

How big is a "clump?"

embedded in the body of a message.

A sort-of-related question.  My feeling is that the answer is "no".
But anyway, for a particular digest, my .procmailrc contains:
        # File the wxobs digests, split up
        :0 i:
        * ^From:.*wxobs-sne-digest
        * ^Subject:.*wxobs-sne-digest
        | formail +1 -ds >>split-digest

Recently, I found "two" messages, which *after* said processing,
ended up in my split-digest mailbox as follows (the lines
may have been added by elm when I deleted other messages):

: From 71435(_dot_)211(_at_)CompuServe(_dot_)COM  Thu Aug  1 22:49:41 1996