Re: Problems With Procmail Autoreply

1996-08-16 17:11:34
Stan Ryckman <stanr(_at_)sunspot(_dot_)tiac(_dot_)net> writes:
Philip Guenther wrote:
it's also affecting the operation of the recipe, as there's a space
missing after the colon in the "X-Loop:" condition,

Actually, there should be a ".*" or, better, "[        ]*" condition
there, since I don't think RFC 822 requires the preservation of any
existing leading white space in handling the field value of the header
in the round trip.  (I've been wrong before though.)

Well, I checked through rfc822, and I think you're right: it doesn't
guarantee any particular amount of leading whitespace.  However, most
MTAs go beyond the requirements of rfc822 in various ways, and one of
the ways sendmail does so is that it guarantees one and only one
leading whitespace.  So yes, if you're on strange systems, using
[ \t]* (with a read tab) would be advisable, but if you know where
this is going to operate, you can make other assumptions.

Just be sure to watch your back: your sysadmin may be gunning for you.

Philip Guenther