Concern: Anti-emailbomb recipe

1996-08-23 14:54:45

I would be very interested in such a recipe as well.
I have an algorithm for defense against mail bombing but as I am newly
exposed to procmail I cannot code it.

Concept: The bomber can use (1) mailing lists or (2) he can use a script
to send you say a thousand messages in a day. We have a solution ( prob.
code too ) for (1) .
But for (2).. we could
(A) Log the senders and ban the account that sends more than say 10
messgs. in one hour or one day .Or better begin counter measures ....like
bouncing back mail and sending all man pages.
(B) Also we could check the size of the Inbox and remove excess mail, as
it comes in, because if the bomber is a fellow procmail usr he can easily
fake the FROM: field.

I think B is more feasible and less taxing.
is there a way of doing this ?

A. Shiraz Siddiqui