Re: Concern: Anti-emailbomb recipe

1996-08-29 14:10:49
On Sun, 25 Aug 1996, era eriksson wrote:

  As was remarked on this list some time ago, it's probably better to
bounce messages than to just redirect to /dev/null.

I beleive you have this backwards.  You are generally better off just
deleting garbage mail than bouncing it.

This depends a bit
on the nature of the incoming material; if you know it's forged,
there's no point in bouncing it to someone who didn't send it in the
first place. Other than that, the bounces will tell the sender that
you are refusing his mail, and maybe inspire somebody to do something
about the situation (like a postmaster somewhere).

When someone becomes this annoying - I use a special perl script to feed
the message to the twit's postmaster with a form complaint.  Slightly more
freindly than coming to their attention than doing so by mailbombing a
moron (even if it is your auto-responder/bouncer).

  As for the "no more than n messages from one particular sender"
mechanics, I'm sure somebody will already have implemented that ...
Love this list.

Should be simple enough.  Have procmail create a file for the time frame
you want (day|hour|min|etc) and dump the sender info into it.  Then have
procmail run a script to insure taht you are not recieving excessive mail
from one person.  If you are - have the script auto-add them to your
nobozo listing.

And the mail-bomber is silenced until they use another from line.

You might also want to include something to remove older files containing
the Sender info if you get a lot of mail since this could eat up a lot of
space if left unchecked.

--
Great Lover, n.:
        A man who can breathe through his ears.