Anti-emailbomb recipe:Revisited

1996-08-26 14:40:31
I have thought of some helpful things on my previous questions.

(A) Log the senders and ban the account that sends more than say 10
messgs. in one hour or one day .Or better begin counter measures ....like
bouncing back mail and sending all man pages.

forget this, it is useless if the user randomly selects adddress and
inserts into FROM : header.

(B) Also we could check the size of the Inbox and remove excess mail,

I  came across the manpages with the following info :

     Inserting the following two recipes above all other  recipes
     will  make sure that of all arriving mail always the last 32
     messages will be preserved.  In order  for  it  to  work  as
     intended,  you  have to create a directory named `backup' in
     $MAILDIR prior to inserting these two recipes.

          :0 c
          backup

          :0 ic
          | cd backup && rm -f dummy `ls -t msg.* | sed -e 1,32d`
.
.
.
.
.
The above method of preserving only the 32 or so messages ( of
appropriate size : we could use the -a option or nest inside a size
cheking recipe ) works well on a "Directory" .... BUT the mailer I use is
.... pine ( I plan to convert some day : it is now like some bad habit)
and it uses files to represent folders i.e if you go into /mail/ directory
you will notice your folders ( or what appears as folders in pine) as files.
The messages in the "folder" are just appended to the file. Therefore when
I try this , it gives an error .. saying that the directory inbox (
in place of backup in above recipe ) does not exist. Is there a solution
here ? will this work in elm ?

Sorry I was too embarrassed to disclose the above earlier, but I guess
that was wrong.

Athar Shiraz Siddiqui