Re: one more time

1996-08-25 18:45:12
Susan Granquist said, of my response to her earlier post,

G> Here's what is happening that I'm partially concerned about and am trying
G> to find a way to avoid having happen.  I'm not sure how much of it is due
G> to procmail and how much to Smartlist.

G> From dattier(_at_)wwa(_dot_)com Sun Aug 25 13:40:32 1996
G> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 09:28:15 -0500 (CDT)
G> From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier(_at_)wwa(_dot_)com>
G> To: Susan Granquist <valkyrie(_at_)eskimo(_dot_)com>
G> Cc: procmail(_at_)Informatik(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
G> Subject: Re: one more time

Yes; I sent it to you directly and to the list, so you should get a second
copy via the list.

G> From dattier(_at_)wwa(_dot_)com Sun Aug 25 13:40:38 1996
G> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 09:28:15 -0500 (CDT)
G> From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier(_at_)wwa(_dot_)com>
G> To: Susan Granquist <valkyrie(_at_)eskimo(_dot_)com>
G> Cc: procmail(_at_)Informatik(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
G> Subject: Re: one more time

Something is wrong there.  The From_ line of that copy should point to the
procmail-request(_at_)informatik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de, as Stan Ryckman
has already
pointed out.  Possibly something in your .procmailrc is removing the incoming
From_ line and then later formail is trying to replace it, so it copies the
address from From: (why not from Resent-From:, Stephen?).

G> I got two copies of the message since one came to me and one went to the
G> list, the one to the list shows the Resent Headers.  Only one message
G> comes from the list.

Right.

G> The only purpose that I can see is that it explains to me as an end user
G> that the reason I got two copies is that one was resent from the list,
G> while another came from another source.

Resent- headers are the proper way of showing that mail was redirected by
someone or something other than the original sender.

Exactly what trouble are your list members having with them?  I run a mailing
list that uses Resent- headers and the only time they ever bothered anyone's
mailer I switched the two affected members (they were at the same site and
had signed up at the same time) to digest mode.  They unsubbed within a month
anyway.

Also, Stan Ryckman wrote,

R> ps - I tend to *like* to get both copies; the direct-mailed one
R> is faster and ends up in my inbox, while the list one ends up
R> in the designated folder for that list, which I can read in context at
R> my leisure; I have procmail set up to do this for me.  But then
R> I count on the "From " header (no colon) to differentiate, and I don't
R> know why yours doesn't show "From " the list.

I feel the same way, though I use a Sender: or Resent-Sender: header instead
of the From_ line to identify the copy that went via a list.