Re: Problems with recipe and versions of procmail

1996-08-29 07:28:15
william meier <wsm(_at_)cadence(_dot_)com> writes:

Hi,

I am using a SS10 running sunOS 4.1.3 with mailtool version
V3 in the openwin/bin directory.  I am running openwin version
3 also.

I have two problems:

1.  Procmail version v3.03 doesn't appear to understand the
   following recipe:

   :0Bbf
   * ^^^^
   | sed p

   For some reason, it appears the "^^^^" isn't understood
   by this version.

You're correct; the '^^' combo could only match the beginning (not the
end) of the string up until version 3.06.  To quote the HISTORY file:

1994/08/30: v3.06
            Changes to procmail:
               - The ^^ anchor can now also be used to anchor the end of
                 a regular expression

2.  I then upgraded to Procmail version v3.10.  This version
   fixed the problem found in #1, but this caused my mailtool
   to hang due to a lock file problem as shown by the log file:
   This ONLY occurs when the mailtool is open,  if the mailtool
   is closed, the mailtool does not hang.

   After I kill the procmail process, the log has:

   procmail: Terminating prematurelyprocmail: [14905] Tue Aug 27 17:41:57 1996
   procmail: Terminating prematurely whilst waiting for a kernel-lock

From the FAQ in the source tree:

16. My mailtool sometimes reports that it is confused about the state of
    the mailbox, or I get "Couldn't unlock" errors from procmail now and then,
    or sometimes it simply seems to hang just when new mail arrives.

        This is a known bug in the OpenLook mailtool.  It holds on to the
        kernel lock on the mail-spoolfile most of the time, and releases
        this lock when it shouldn't.  Either ask for a bugfix from your
        vendor (I'm not sure if a bugfix exists), or make sure that during
        the compilation of procmail both the fcntl() and lockf() locking
        methods are disabled (see config.h).

Philip Guenther