Re: Setting up procmail

1996-10-15 23:20:52

Hi, read the man procmail and copy pasted the line that was supposed to be
an example into .forward file

"|IFS=' '&&exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -f-||exit 75
#_^HY_^HO_^HU_^HR__^HU_^ HS_^HE_^HR_^HN_^HA_^HM_^HE"

No, that's not the example; what's with all those "_^H" things?
Looks like you cut and pasted an underlined "YOUR USERNAME"
but you're supposed to put your username there (and it belongs
on the first line, without underlines).

And in the .procmailrc  as suggested, the following example;

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
     MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail      #you'd better make sure it exists
     DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mbox   #completely optional
     LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/from   #recommended

         :0
     * ^Subject:.*Flame

========
When I set it up and tested a mailwith the subject of "flame"
I got nothing,  I had it set to send themail with that subject to
/dev/null

Where's the /dev/null line in your recipe?  Or are you just giving
us what you think are the relevant parts?

Try logging.  Works wonders to get people to help you find problems.

also as outlined in the example in man procmail and man procmailrc

All fine, except it resulted in not getting ANY mail at all regardless.

Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong?
I used the exact examples listed inthe man files, I use pine, set up the
.forward world readable etc

Apparantly it kills ALL mail so I changed the .forward file till I can get
it working.

Also look in the procmailex man page, for "safety net", and copy
those lines to the beginning of your .procmailrc.  It will keep the
last 32 emails around in a backup directory while you tinker with
things (at least once you get .forward working).

Sorry, I don't see enough information to offer other help at this
point.

Cheers,
Stan.