Re: Setting up procmail

1996-10-16 13:05:53
Robert Abrams wrote:
[snip]
I still wind up with *all* test mail I sent to myself being /dev/nulled
regardless of subject;

A sample small $HOME/.procmailrc:
     PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
     MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail      #you'd better make sure it exists
     DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mbox   #completely optional
     LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/from   #recommended

        :0
     * ^Subject:.*Deals
     /dev/null

:0
* (^TO|^Subject:.*)flame[^t]
/dev/null

[more snip]

Thanks Stan, this stuff drives me batty, any ideas before I write my admin
for help?

Before bugging your admin, try your tests again with:

# at the top, since you've already set LOGFILE:
VERBOSE=on

Then, also replace /dev/null with test_dev_null (or some folder(s)),
so that you can see what was getting put where and why.

I think you need to differentiate between forwarding and recipe
problems, and doing these things may help.  In particular, if
nothing shows in the LOGFILE, your forwarding isn't working.

(Note that /usr/local/bin/formail, which you're "forwarding" to,
must exist on the host where the mail delivery is being attempted
if you're on a network, and your home directory must be accessible
from there as well.  Perhaps your mail is going to /var/spool/$USER
or something instead of $MAILDIR/mbox or /dev/null.)

(Your admin will undoubtedly be more helpful with the more data you
can give him or her, anyway.)

Cheers,
Stan.