Re: EXITCODE/HOST problem

1996-11-16 17:10:06
bodysurf(_at_)netcom(_dot_)com (Tim) writes:
Here's some pertinent parts from my PROCMAILRC file.  I have been
specifying my LOGFILE, so it should be set.  Any other advice :^)?

----- BEGIN:  PROCMAILRC -----
 #Set on when debugging
 VERBOSE=on

[...]

 #Directory for storing procmail log and rc files
 PMDIR=$HOME/.procmail

[...]

 LINEBUF=50000
 LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log

[...]
----- END: PROCMAILRC -----

Ah, but you wait too long.  Any logging done before you set LOGFILE will
go to stderr.  Setting VERBOSE on will cause lots of logging to take
place.  Ta da!  In general, LOGFILE should be one of the first variables
set, and it should definately be set before VERBOSE is set if you want
to avoid what you're seeing.

BTW: I noticed that you set LOGFILE=50000.  Why do you set it to such a huge
value?

I think you mean 'LINEBUF=50000'.  I was having problems with NetCom's
GREP being able to process long files (FGREP) so I increased the LINEBUF
in hopes of correcting it.  That didn't end up working, but installing
GNU Grep v2.0 *did*.  I should probably go back and reduce that LINEBUF
to a more reasonable value.

LINEBUF only effects procmail's buffer size, not the buffer size used
by any external processes such as grep.  You should probably just not
set it at all, as the default seems to be big enough for any 'normal'
procmailrc.

Philip Guenther