Re: help for bouncemail parsing?

1996-12-18 01:08:55
Thomas wrote:

I administrate a Majordomo-List (and no neither the server nor the choice
of listsoftware is mine), which generates up to 100 Bounces a day, which
Majordomo will dutifully pass on to me. I then get my mail via POP, filter
it out in my Mailreader (Eudora) and act on them using scripts of my own.

So far, so bad.

What I'm hoping for, is that somebody else had this problem, and found a
way using procmail to alleviate the problem.

I am working on this same problem.  So far I have a separate .rc file to
filter the bounces and pass each bounce to a perl script for processing.  I
am still working on the perl script but the procmail part is working.
Anyone see anything weird in my bounce.rc?  I'm still learning too.

My bounce.rc looks like this:

VERBOSE=off
SENDMAIL=/usr/sbin/sendmail
MAILDIR=$HOME
PMDIR=$HOME/.procmail
LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log
SHELL=/bin/csh
PATH=.:/home/writeway/bin/idiom:/home/writeway/bin/sun4:/home/writeway/bin:/
usr/bin

:0
* ^FROM_DAEMON
* ^TOowner-list
{

BOUNCE_LIST=$HOME/bounces/callig.list

:0 B
* $? fgrep -si -f $BOUNCE_LIST
| $HOME/bounces/bounce.pl

}

The file "callig.list" has a list of strings I want to match like,

User unknown
full mailbox
Host unknown

The perl script grabs the e-mail address, the matching sting (from above)
and the date and writes them to a log file.

$address:$matching_string:$date

Any bouncing mail from my list which does not match a string in callig.list
falls through to my inbox. I would have included the perl script
(bounce.pl) also, only it still has a few unintended features. :-)

I hope this helps.

Jim Martin
jim(_at_)calligraph(_dot_)com
http://www.calligraph.com