Re: Procmail doesn't react to incoming mail

1996-12-18 01:10:57
On Tue Dec 17 1996, Ray Bagley wrote:

The solution is to use `fetchmail', which *can* be configured to
deliver pop'ed email locally via smtp (or even deliver it to another
host with smtp).

I wanted to try fetchmail but I'm not sure that what I downloaded was the
real thing. It's a perl script and when I attempt to run it, it spits out
errors about the syntax every 2 to 5 lines of script. I need a good

That is _not_ fetchmail-2.2.

location to ftp the real mccoy from. Popclient seems to be a bit buggy and
I'm not happy with the way it handles things. I'm having other problems
with procmail but I would rather get a reliable retrieval system going
first before I worry too much with filtering.

popclient is now no longer being supported, and fetchmail is now
replacing  it.

Good! I will be intouch for help _if_ you don't mind and if I need help.

You won't need any.  It's simple to use (as simple as popclient) and
the docs are very clear.  I just type `fetchmail' and it reads the 91
bytes in my ~/.fetchmailrc file and does its thing.

Or better yet, is there a mailing list for fetchmail?

Not that I'm aware of.  Besides, the maintainer (Eric) is also one of
the main developers of ncurses.

After reading the man page that Tony was kind enough to post I can see
that fetchmail is what I need. So all I need is to know where I can get
it.

ftp://locke.ccil.org/pub/esr/fetchmail-2.2.tar.gz (274K)

Cheers
Tony