Re: What is the "/no/such/dir" error message mean???

1997-03-05 13:34:08
John T Ellis <ellis(_at_)cork(_dot_)cig(_dot_)mot(_dot_)com> writes:
On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Philip Guenther wrote:

The eternal question arises: what are you trying to do?

Howdy.  You're right, I didn't really explain it that well when I first put
my email together.  Let me try again.

I want to create an email address without creating a user account.  I want
all mail that is sent to that email address to be handled by procmail.  The
best way I thought of doing that was to include the following line in the
mail.aliases map:

      mcscmail: "| /usr/misc/bin/procmail -m /usr/test/mcsc/etc/procmailrc"

After working through a few different issues, I finally have it setup where
all mail sent to mcscmail is indeed handled correctly.  However, in order
to do this, I needed to use some very weird file permissions/ownerships.
My request to you for comments is regarding the file permission/ownership
situation.

My suggestion?  Make sure procmail is setuid root, move the procmailrc
to /etc/procmailrcs/mcscmail (or make that a symlink to the real
location), make the owner of /etc/procmailrcs/mcscmail (even if it's a
symlink!) be the uid you want the mailboxes to be owned by, chown the
current files to that uid, then change the alias to read:

        mcscmail: "|/usr/misc/bin/procmail -m /etc/procmailrcs/mcscmail"

Poof, procmail runs as whatever uid you chose and you're done.  Whether
that uid is the same as your personal account or a new one created for
the purpose is immaterial (though in the latter case I would eliminate
the alias and just use ~mcscmail/.procmailrc).

Philip Guenther