Re: Question about user-name+xxxx(_at_)host style addresses

1997-03-28 20:00:17

On March 28, 1997, "Simeon ben Nevel"
<Simeon(_dot_)Nevel(_at_)Schwab(_dot_)COM> said:
Awhile ago I remember a discussion of using a style of To: addresses like
so:

   username+xxxx(_at_)host(_dot_)name

Where the SMTP daemon will automagically know to deliver to my
snevel(_at_)wco(_dot_)com mailbox.

How is this set-up?  Is it a function of a particular mail-server?  Is it
hard to administer?

I can see *lots* of utility for this as a budding procmail user and would
like to ask my ISP about it, but I don't know what to ask them about.

Heya, Simeon.

As you'll notice from my sig, I use this feature a lot.

It's actually quite easy to administer (it's actually transparent),
and the last time I configured my mail server, it was the default
behavior.

This seems to be the case with Sendmail 8.7.5 and above (I'm not saying
it's not the case with earlier v.8 sendmail, I just haven't touched it).

-roy
           Roy S. Rapoport / rsr(_at_)aonix(_dot_)com / phone:415-543-0900
               Email rsr+services(_at_)aonix(_dot_)com for info on how
                to contact me, get my PGP public key, etc.
      Paul Vixie took my pen and all I got was this lousy .signature