Re: FROM_MAILER versus FROMMAILER

1997-04-03 11:23:00
On Thu, 3 Apr 1997 10:58:17 -0500 (EST),
Paul O Bartlett <pobart(_at_)access(_dot_)digex(_dot_)net> wrote:
there are explanations of the macros FROMDAEMON and FROMMAILER with no
internal underscores in the name.  However, in the examples in the

Sounds to me like the person who installed the man pages fouled up.
I think there should definitely be underscores (and leading carets
too). You can of course test it yourself with your particular setup,
for the eventuality that you have a hacked version or something. See
below.

from time to time a legitimate piece of personal mail shows up in that
folder, and so far looking at the full message headers I have not been
able to determine what the recipe is catching.  Turning on verbose
logging to catch an entirely asynchronous occasional message does not
seem reasonable, and I have not figured out a way to send a message to
myself to try to duplicate the condition.  Anybody had any similar

Just save those messages to a file and run them again. Or pipe
straight from your mail reader to Procmail, that's quicker.
  (You're apparently using Pine so something like | procmail should
work straight out of the box; press "|", tell Pine to pipe to procmail
-- apparently the From_ line is not sent along with the message,
though. "Exporting" the message to a file will retain the From_ line).

To aid debugging, you might still want to save the message(s) to a
file and try various things from the command prompt directly -- with a
suitable experimental rc file you don't have to have them delivered to
any folder at all (meaning you don't need to clean up various inboxes
from messages you have "resent" to yourself for experimental
purposes).
  The smallish attempt at a Procmail FAQ which I have written up
contains a model rc file for experimentation, maybe you can use that.
    http://www.iki.fi/~era/procmail/mini-faq.html

Hope this helps,

/* era */

(Typical ^FROM_MAILER problems are if one of your friends would be
sending stuff from the root account on her private Linux box or
whatever. Not much you can do about that, except recognize her domain
name as special and write a separate recipe for that individual case.
  There have been reports of addresses which match ^FROM_MAILER by
accident but I don't recall any such cases right now. Are the
mismatches always from the same account?)

--
Defin-i-t-e-ly. Sep-a-r-a-te. Gram-m-a-r.  <http://www.iki.fi/~era/>
 * Enjoy receiving spam? Register at <http://www.iki.fi/~era/spam.html>