Re: FROM_MAILER versus FROMMAILER

1997-04-03 15:41:00
At 08:37 PM 4/3/97 +0300, era eriksson wrote:

[snip]

(Typical ^FROM_MAILER problems are if one of your friends would be
sending stuff from the root account on her private Linux box or
whatever. Not much you can do about that, except recognize her domain
name as special and write a separate recipe for that individual case.
 There have been reports of addresses which match ^FROM_MAILER by
accident but I don't recall any such cases right now. Are the
mismatches always from the same account?)

I run a game via autoresponder (magic cookie in Subject: required to play).
That recipe excludes ^FROM_DAEMON matches (like ^FROM_MAILER, but catches
even more).  I've had only had one false match from 60-70 players.
It turned out to be from the "comments" field of the mail address;
his mail had something like:

        From: johndoe(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com (System Admin for Somewhere)

and the "Admin" bit will trigger either ^FROM_MAILER or ^FROM_DAEMON.
Once he repaired his "name" (the comments field) the problem went
away, and my autoresponder would talk to him.  It *was* a bit
disconcerting until I figured out what was happening.

So it could be not the email address which triggers the false match,
but the comments field (which anyone can pretty much set to anything
they want to with most email clients).

Cheers,
Stan