Re: Small problem with procmail filter

1997-04-05 14:53:00
At 03:50 PM 4/5/97 +0200, Javier Hernandez wrote:
Hi All,
I am new to the list and I need some help with procmail.

I have the following statement at my
.procmailrc file at $HOME/
------------[snip]--------------------
# split up the redhat digest
      :0:
      * ^Subject:.*redhat.*digest
      | formail +1 -eds cat >> list-redhat.425
---------------[snip]-------------

I do not remeber where I did get that line but it
is supposed to split a digest mail in different
e-mails. It normally works fine when a digest email
arrives to my system.
The problem is that I do not know why but I
always got an "empty" folder called list-redhat.425
at my normal directory for mail folders even there
is not any digest message on the incoming folder.

Sorry if it is not well explained. If you need a
more detailed explanation please tell me and I will
try to explain it in a different way.

It appears to me that if you got a non-digest message
matching "redhat.*digest" in the Subject, this might happen.
(You would also lose the message.)  I think it's safer to
recognize digests by their source (usually, by the "From "
header) since those should remain constant and never
match falsely.

Is it possible you're just confused, and when you read all
the mail in list-redhat.425 and delete or move it, that your
mailer still leaves the zero-length file there?  In some
mail clients, this behavior is configurable by the user.

I think it might help if you'd turn verbose logging on
and then (if that doesn't give the answer away),
post the verbose logging from a message that causes
this file to be created when you think it shouldn't.

To do this, put the following before your recipes:
        LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/some_log_filename
        VERBOSE=yes

Also, on general principles, find out what revision of
procmail you have (use "procmail -v" for this).  There are
some behaviors that depend on the version.

Cheers,
Stan