Re: My growing list of bad domains

1997-04-14 07:55:00
On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, Eli the Bearded wrote (small excerpt):

                                                    Just because
you have seen some spam with the word "free" in it does not mean
you should issue spam cancels for all posts with the word "free"
in them.

    Maybe I am just fortunate in receiving significantly fewer spams
than some people on this list.  (I had six this morning, which was
actually a little high for me.)  However, I have realized the risks in
simply trashcanning a lot of alleged spams.  I do have a recipe
which makes a brief entry in the log and and then /dev/null's some spam,
but interestingly, that recipe has never gotten a hit.  Possibly the
criteria I put in there were one-shot spams.

   All the rest of my alleged spam goes into a unique folder which I
can scan and purge in a few seconds.  My point is that on rare
occasions I *have* received legitimate email matching my "spam"
recipes, so if I just discarded all such matches, I would have lost
valid messages.  (They are rare but real.)  Trying to think up in
advance criteria to put in a recipe to separate out such messages seems
to me a herculean task.

    Of course, we all have to make our own decision as to what we will
keep and what we will discard and why.

Paul                             <pobart(_at_)access(_dot_)digex(_dot_)net>
Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA
Finger, keyserver, or WWW for PGP 2.6.2 public key
Home Page:  http://www.access.digex.net/~pobart