Re: filtering messages inside digests

1997-05-01 10:22:00
Rob Funk responded to my earlier advice to him:

| A third idea I thought of was to use "-a samba" in the call to procmail,
| but I like your method of adding a header best.

Now that you mention it, Rob, if it weren't for your desire to include the
digest's volume and issue numbers in the X-Split-From: header, calling
procmail with "-a samba" would have been a better idea because it wouldn't
add bulk to the text.  Thanks for thinking of that.

[Since this is a public response, I'll add this, though I'm sure Rob already
 knows it:]

Then you could have caught articles on their second cycle and saved them in
$MAILDIR/samba this way:

        ARG=$1

        :0:
        * ARG ?? ^^samba^^
        samba

| :0
| * ^TO_.*\<samba(|-announce)@

The expansions of ^TO and ^TO_ already end in specialized forms of ".*\<",
and I believe it's more efficient to use "?" for "zero or one of the
preceding" than to alternate something with null, so you should make that

  * ^TO_samba(-announce)?@

| {
|     # the main one comes in as a digest, so lets split it up to make life easy
|     :0
|     * ^Subject: \/SAMBA digest

Problem: you're not going to catch the volume and issue numbers in MATCH that
way.  Try this:

      * ^Subject: \/SAMBA digest.*

|     * ^From:(_dot_)*samba(_at_)arvidsjaur\(_dot_)anu\(_dot_)edu\(_dot_)au
|     | formail +1 -A"X-Split-From: $MATCH" -ds procmail
|
|     # if we've gotten this far, we just want to save it to the samba folder
|     :0:
|     *
|     samba

An unconditional recipe doesn't need any conditions:

      :0:
      samba