Re: lists and the conventions they should adopt

1997-05-07 11:57:00
On May 7, "J. Daniel Smith" <DanS(_at_)bristol(_dot_)com> wrote:
Subject: Re: lists and the conventions they should adopt
Timothy J. Luoma writes on 16 April 1997 at 16:51:55

I want to educate some mailing lists that don't use formal mailing
list software on how to format their message headers.

a big don't would be to NOT insert a Reply-To: header back to the list.

If I've parsed that correctly, I'll have to disagree; there are good and
valid reasons for having reply-to set to the original sender on SOME lists.
I've recently switched one of the lists I manage over to that behavior, and
it's starting to reduce the number of irrelevant messages (assuming that
any of the messages were relevant in the first place).

I do agree that it's usually more appropriate for replies to go to the
list, and that it would be a mistake not to consider that option.