Exponential E-x--p---a---n----s-----i------o-------n

1997-05-25 00:19:00
It seems that sp*m is expanding exponetially, and I just saw an advertisement
to buy "Millions" of e-mail addresses on a CD-ROM ;(

Here in the U.S., I understand there is "proposed" legislation regarding this
situation, but I don't believe it includes 'domain name forgery' which is
another
horrific problem (sometimes committed by the spa**mers).  I've been a
victim of
this on ++numerous++ occasions.

Here's an idea to, well, ummm, perhaps "influence" those U.S. Congressmen and
Senators into passing some ++STRONG++ legislation.  And, the resources needed
to track down and prosecute offenders.

If all of the Procmail & SmartList folks were to re-direct incoming sp*m
to:  !congressmanA congressmanB senatorA senatorB (etc., etc.) along with
a brief opening paragraph on top of the sp*m "encouraging", via concrete
examples in their own in-boxes, to vote ++STRONG++ anti-sp*m legislation,
perhaps we can all help.  There are many legislators who now have e-mail.

If the crooks and special interest groups in the U.S. can "Lobby" legislators
to get special favors, etc., why can't we electronically "Lobby" them, with
concrete first-hand examples of the problem, to help clean up the net?
Someone must have a list of e-mail addresses for Congressmen & Senators.

I believe we all have a responsibility to help those legislators who have
"no clue" to get some first-hand examples, in order to "grasp" the reality.

Thoughts?

Eric