Re: Something worth looking at.....

1997-08-16 00:39:00
        Author:         "Russell W. Behne"
<russ(_at_)otp(_dot_)illuminet(_dot_)net>

I use pine. In pine pressing the letter `h' will toggle full headers mode.
Your mailreader may use a different method to toggle full headers mode.

I'm really not a moron, I know how to use my mailreader to find the headers
of the message I am looking at, that's not what I meant.

I meant the headers as they appeared to the machine which accepted the
message for the list.  We don't see these headers in the message when it
reaches us

I will complain to netcom, and I recommend everyone else do the same, but
we need to get the full headers of the original message....

Why?  What's netcom going to do with forged spam headers?

That's why I wanted to see the originals, so I could see if they were forged
or not.

Where is the archive?

Archive?  Of forged spam headers you mean?  Are you serious?

The archive of messages as they appeared to the machine which accepted the
message for distribution.

I am serious, and, as I mentioned, not an idiot.

If you really must complain, then please look around in the spam for a http
url; (If they're selling something, then they left you *some* way to
contact them.) Go to their website and complain there, and to their ISP. Or
do as I do: send them an invoice charging them $500 for storing commercial
docs on your hard drive.

Turns out it was from Netcom, or a very thorough forgery.

Most of the MLM spammers aren't quite as bright as to forge the Received
headers with valid reverse DNS lookup information.

But please don't complain to netcom or the list, netcom probably can't help
and I since the info in the headers is almost always forged pestering the
list won't help either.

Yes but if it was not forged they can throw the spammer out.

I never said anything about 'pestering' the list, just commenting that a few
simple anti-spam rules would be nice, since this was a relatively large spam
I could have done without.

TjL