Re: Mailing list sorting recipe

1997-10-06 16:12:10
Louis-David Mitterrand <mito(_at_)aparima(_dot_)com> writes:
On Mon, Oct 06, 1997 at 02:48:03PM -0500, Philip Guenther wrote:
That's "Philip Guenther".  (And to all the people who seem to be
convinced otherwise (not just you): there really is only one ell in my
first name.)

Oops, Sorry.

No problem.  I just roll my eyes each time, and I can use the exercise

After pulling out a lot of hair this week-end I finally found the cause
of my problem: removing '\<' at the start of my $LIST does the trick (I
can put it right after the ^TO_).

Actually, you should just remove it completly.  The ^TO_ token contains
something similar to \< but better, so that the \< can only cause
problems.  A trailing \> is not a bad idea, though because it's not a
zero-width assertion but rather an actual character class, you have to
strip it from the match:

        LISTS = "(mutt|procmail|.....)"
        :0
                # get the match
        * $ ^TO_\/$LISTS\>
                # rematch sans the trailing \>
        * $ MATCH ?? \/$LISTS
                # downcase it
        * $ LISTS ?? ()\/$\MATCH
        {
            <action>
        }

The reason to have the trailing \> is to avoid matches on things like

        To: procmail-haters(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)else

Philip Guenther