Re: Self-Modifying .procmailrc

1997-10-07 09:26:04
Jari Aalto writes on 7 October 1997 at 18:12:12
| Mon 97-10-06 Timothy J Luoma <luomat(_at_)peak(_dot_)org> list.procmail
|

| # look for the file to tell us whether or not to forward mail or not
| # if the file exists, forward the mail
| :0c
| * ? test -r $HOME/.forwardmail
| ! me(_at_)elsewhere(_dot_)com

[code]

This is great! But whatabout remote-forward-control? I want to
send mail from the current account and get mail forwarded somewhere
according to the Reply-To address:

       From: me(_at_)remote(_dot_)com
       Subject: forward-on SOME-MAGIG-PASSWORD-STRING

this reminds me of a procmail recipe I had a number of years ago to
mail an "xterm" to myself.  I couldn't log onto machine A from machine
B (router stoped telnet/rlogin sessions), but A could do a remote X
display to B.  And of course B could send email to A as well.  So on
machine A I had a little procmail recipe that would parse out the
remote X display from the email message and launch an xterm client.
Viola! :-)

It also goes to show the big security hole that can be created open by
letting your .procmailrc file execute an arbitrary program in response
to an email message.

   Dan
------------------- message is author's opinion only ------------------
J. Daniel Smith <DanS(_at_)bristol(_dot_)com>
http://www.bristol.com/~DanS
Bristol Technology B.V.                   +31 33 450 50 50, ...51 (FAX)
Amersfoort, The Netherlands               {info,jobs}(_at_)bristol(_dot_)com