Re: How do I get off this list?

1997-10-13 16:06:52
At 01:04 AM 10/14/97 +0300, Kimmo Jaskari wrote:
On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, [name deleted to protect the uhm...] wrote:

[snip - duuh, I didn't READ or KEEP the instructions, who reads 'em anyway
when you can just ask everybody for an answer?]

Could somebody PLEASE find the maintainer, or person in charge, or
whatever, and tell the individual in person to get his butt in gear and

These sorts of requests are hardly the duty of the "maintainer".  This list
pretty much is left to run by itself, and it seems to manage to do that fine.

As for "getting his but in gear" might I point out that the people with
these "difficulties" are the ones who need to get into gear.  They were ALL
presented with instructions when they managed to get their butts
subscribed.  The instructions for unsubscribing involve the SAME process,
but with "un" prefixed to "subscribe".  Go figure.  They've been reposted
several times in response to such requests on the list over time.  Finding
those messages in the archives isn't difficult, but that does involve a
_little_ more work than just asking everybody to tell them.

Rocket science - butt in high gear, brain in low idle.

get some info about unsubscribing out here? It's getting annoying to
see all the "I want out!" messages in the list. I mean, surely somebody

Equally annoying to see someone expecting that there is surely somebody
just sitting around waiting to help people.

In several cases, people choose to reply to these requests individually
off-list, not expecting that there are droves of people who were apparently
smart enough to subscribe, but who didn't pay attention to the "important -
save me" type message sent when they first subscribed, and have been
sitting around waiting for someone else to ask how to get off.

Here's the little blurb of notes I have in my mail addressbook for the
procmail ADMIN address.  I'm sharing them here for a couple of reasons:
one, it publishes the instructions YET AGAIN on how to unsubscribe, and
two, it points out that perhaps people might consider taking notes and
adding them to their addressbooks (if they have that capability).  Of
course, just saving the original instructions isn't a half bad idea either.

As always, PLEASE NOTE that the ADDRESS for these commands is
"procmail-request" (yea, the SAME address you subscribed at), *NOT*
"procmail" (the address articles are sent to).

 To: procmail-request(_at_)informatik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de

subscribe/unsubscribe AS SUBJECT

Get a list of files available at the procmail mail server by sending mail:
 Subject: archive ls

Get Best of the Procmail mailing list by sending mail (you'll need gzip and
a MIME-decoder to unpack it):
 Subject: archive get best_of_procmail_list*

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395