Warning -- new, noxious spam message.

1997-10-22 14:39:02

Ran into a new Spam today, adn this one has some really dangerous
aspects, so I thought I'd send out a warning on it.

The Spam was titled something like "you're a winner!", letting you know
that you've won some contest. To find out the details, they enclose a
Gzipped binary that you need to unpack and execute. It's a PC binary,
so us Mac users are relatively safe from this specific one, but...

Think about the implications of this one. What's in the executable? You
have no clue where it came from, since it's bulk-mailed through forged
everything. And do you really want it on your hard disk?

Needless, if you're even TEMPTED to find out what's in that gzipped
file, do so on a machine that you don't mind being destroyed. God knows
what trojan horse, disk-eater or whatever might be lurking in there.
And if you have users who might open it up and run it without thinking,
better pass the word FAST. This has the potential to really create
mayhem among the naive users who don't know any better.

chuq

--
         Chuq Von Rospach (chuq(_at_)apple(_dot_)com) Apple IS&T Mail List Gnome
                 <http://www.solutions.apple.com/ListAdmin/>

 Plaidworks Consulting (chuqui(_at_)plaidworks(_dot_)com)
<http://www.plaidworks.com/>
   (<http://www.plaidworks.com/hockey/> +-+ The home for Hockey on the net)