Re: Dealing with this address formatting

1998-02-16 10:22:50
On Sun, 15 Feb 1998, Professional Software Engineering wrote:

At 09:35 PM 2/15/98 -0700, Wotan wrote:

68468768dsg667(_at_)msn(_dot_)com

Are they all from MSN ?

Nope.  Although they all claim to be from the places we love to hate.  :-)
Hotmail, AOL, prodigy, etc.

I have a handful of ISP domains for which I
doublecheck the domain in the From: against the domain portion in the
ISPs I figure aren't likely to have users who are using OTHER mail servers
to relay their mail.

I know of a couple who do, but...

Half the messages get caught by my scorefile anyhow.  Which does such
checking.

And if anything valid gets blasted by this, I file my
junkmail anyway, so I can retrieve a copy if necessary.

Me too.  So far only my relatives mange to trip these things. ;->

That doesn't answer your question, but I thought I'd note it anyway.

addresses have all been of this format, but differing lenghts.  How likely

* ^(From|(Reply-)?To):[         ]+[0-9]+[a-z]+[0-9]+@

I'd replace [a-z] with [A-Za-z] just to be on the complete side (otherwise
the first message with an uppercase letter in there is going to slip
through).

I only use case sensativity for a couple of things.  Spam detection is not
one of them.

Also, I might double up the numerics on either end (for "2 or
more" : "[0-9][0-9]+"), if this is a characteristic of the messages, though
I agree that I'd be unlikely to get messages with addressing matching the
basic format, so why bother narrowing the match?

:->

--
"Tom Hayden is the kind of politician who gives opportunism a bad
name."