Spam from (Forged) Numeric Accounts

1998-02-16 21:54:52
Era warned me this would eventually happen.  Goodnet is using Procmail
3.10.  I have no control over what version they use.  It is an unsupported
product at Goodnet.

The recipe below gets rid of spam of the form of:

From: 123456(_at_)aol(_dot_)com (Blah Blah)

:0
* ^From: [0-9]+@
/dev/null

But it doesn't work against spam of the form:

From: "Blah Blah" <123456(_at_)aol(_dot_)com>

What recipe should I use?  See spam headers below.  The X-UIDL header was
added by Goodnet's POP3 server.  It's legitimate.

Will this work:

* ^From:.*[0-9]+@

Or will this delete email unintentionally?  I am quite willing to delete
all email that contains all-numerics in the account name.  But I don't want
to do something stupid.

Er, uh, I subscribe to this list in digest format, and it doesn't seem to
be arriving every day.  I don't know what is happening.  If you see this
and reply, please also email me.

               SPAM HEADERS

         Mon, 16 Feb 1998 07:54:20 -0800