Re: bad message id's

1998-03-18 00:03:00
On Tue, 17 Mar 1998 08:54:59 -0800, Michael Helm
<helm(_at_)fionn(_dot_)es(_dot_)net>
wrote:
I picked up this rule here recently:
* ^Message-Id:[      ]*<[^   <>@]+(_at_)[^   <>@]+>[         ]*$
Today I trapped out a legit message with this:
             /@MHS>
Is the rule wrong, the message id bad, both?

Both. The rule doesn't permit quoted whitespace in message-id:s --
whitespace (including line breaks) is permitted, but as far as I can
tell only if inside double quotes. (It's been a while since I last
tried to decipher this part of RFC822, though.)

/* era */

(And of course you want a negated condition here unless you're
specifically using this to file away the valid ones and dumping
everything else.)

--
 Paparazzi of the Net: No matter what you do to protect your privacy,
  they'll hunt you down and spam you. <http://www.iki.fi/~era/spam/>