Re: bad message id's

1998-03-25 14:50:21
Lars Hecking <lhecking(_at_)nmrc(_dot_)ucc(_dot_)ie> writes:
Philip Guenther <guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu> writes:
Hmm, maybe I'll start logging ids that match that condition.

I did ;-)

It matched two messages so far. One message-id was clearly bogus,
but here's the other one (mailing list with 1 msg/week, no spam):

Is your regexp incomplete wrt trailing dot in the domain part, or
is the MUA/MTA broken?

rfc822 doesn't allow a trailing dot.  I just looked at the draft of the
new Internet Message Header Standard (the eventual replacement for
rfc822) and it doesn't either.  Rather, it further restricts the syntax
of generated Message-Id: headers to disallow comments or folding
whitespace from occuring in the message-id itself.

HOWEVER: before you go tightening that regexp, note that the standard
*requires* that programs that process messages MUST accept and parse
messages that fit the obsolete syntax.  This is because old mail
messages can hang around for long periods of time in a way that most
other internet data formats don't see.  The new requirements are on
the _generation_ of new messages, not on old messages.

Philip Guenther