Re: The TO_ and "X-Rcpt-To:" field...

1998-03-25 15:03:27
Best responded to the "X-Rcpt-To:" field as follows:

        It's something we added recently for tracking spam more effectively.
Marc

Nancy McGough wrote:

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Philip Guenther wrote:

Christopher Reggiardo <christopher(_at_)reggiardo(_dot_)com> writes:
The users e-mail address is in the "X-Rcpt-To:"
field and the TO_ macro does not seem to catch it (it defaults to the
main INBOX).

You should just change from using the ^TO_ token to a direct match on
the indicated field:

Actually, you _really_ should be matching on the envelope recipient instead,
but how you do that depends on your setup.

The X-Rcpt-To header is something that's been set up at best.com and
as far as I can tell it *does* give the envelope recipient.  I, like
Christopher, am trying to manage email for a virtual domain and this
new X-Rcpt-To header seems to have solved all my procmail problems.
When a message is sent to more than one user at mydomain.com, the
message is delivered once for each user and each of them has an
X-Rcpt-To header that contains exactly one user(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com
address.
This has simplified my forwarding recipes to simply look like this:

:0

:0

:0:
admin_IN

:0:
* ^X-Rcpt-To:.*mydomain.com
bogus(_at_)mydomain_IN

After I deal with all the real addresses at mydomain.com, this last
recipe catches all the bogus usernames that random people give out
@mydomain.com.  Maybe one of these days I'll bounce these but for now
I'm looking at them and making sure that I haven't forgotten any
addresses that I've used @mydomain.com.

Questions to the list:  How does this X-Rcpt-To header differ from
the X-Envelope-To header?  Do many ISPs insert these headers (or
something similar) to help their users process mail?  Any suggestions
for my recipes above?

Thanks,
Nancy

--
Nancy McGough    -*-    Infinite Ink    -*-    http://www.ii.com

--

Christopher

mailto:Christopher(_at_)Reggiardo(_dot_)com

http://www.reggiardo.com