concurrent sendmails when forwarding

1998-08-14 14:41:30
Hi!

I have a simple(?) question:
How can I stop procmail from running a sendmail process for every mail
forwarded?

Perhaps a bit more detailed description would help. ;-)

I have a dial-up modem connection to my ISP. Mail is retrieved by
fetchmail and delivered to root's mailbox. In .procmailrc of root's home
directory there are several forward (e.g. ! walter(_at_)localhost)  recipies
to local users. In fact, almost all mail is forwarded as there should not
be any mail to root from the outside. Root just works as a mail
distributor. This works fine. Now, where is the problem?

For every forwarded mail, a distinct sendmail process is created. This
leads to a heavy (IMHO unbearable) system load.  Trust me, my amd486 is
virtually unusable with loads >20 (twenty) caused by as many concurrent
sendmail processes running.

It would be nice (BTW, the sendmail processes spawned are already running
nice +12) if procmail would forward the mails sequentially. That is, just
having one sendmail active, launching the next for forwarding when the
previous has finished.
This would keep the system load low. Time is also no problem because it is
only root's mailbox which gets emptied. No need to be online for that.

Is it sendmail that detaches itself our does procmail run sendmail?
Anyways, I'd appreciate any hint to prevent concurrent sendmail jobs.

Finally, please reply by email as I'm not subscribed to this mailinglist
(yet). Thanks.

Regards, Walter

--
Haidinger Walter <walter(_dot_)haidinger(_at_)gmx(_dot_)net>
Student of Electrical Engineering, University of Technology, Vienna, Austria