Re: concurrent sendmails when forwarding

1998-08-15 07:09:28
On Sat, 15 Aug 1998, era eriksson wrote:

(Blows dust off old underutilized Bat Book.) Yeah, setting QueueFactor
(q) and QueueLA (x) to suitable values should do what you want. You
need to have load-balancing support compiled in, though; according to
the Bat Book, sendmail -d3.1 tells whether you have it or not. (Mine
just says getla:0 which I would imagine means I have the support but
the load average was below the cutoff level. RTFM, though.)

AFAIK using load averaging would have the first messages delivered and the
rest queued. However, also not being a sendmail guru, I do not know how to
empty a sendmail queue for incoming mail only.
Moreover, even if I knew how to do this, it would have to be done after
procmail finishes.
Is there some kind of "postprocess" rule/command with is run after all
mails are processed by procmail? I do not remember reading of such at all.

run a normal Sendmail on more than one message at a time. I get eerie
ideas of how you could construct a digest from within Procmail and
then deliver that, but I don't suppose that's what you had in mind ...

Yes. I'd like to have several sendmails processing a single mail on after
the other. The only problem is that they're run concurrently.

Another possibility might be to replace Sendmail with something
slighly less heavyweight.

Well, it came with my SuSE distribution and works fine execpt for this
particular problem. I do not want to go trough the hassle of setting up
another mail system.

(Sounds like you're begging for trouble. Why not use fetchmail's
multidrop feature? See also the standard gripe about how Procmail is
not really the right tool for this in the FAQ; look for the string
"virtual domain". <http://www.iki.fi/~era/procmail/mini-faq.html>)

All mail in my mailbox is for me. That is, it is a single user mailbox.
Now, what do I really do?
Collecting mail from several university accounts and having some robots
running there too, I distributing all mail to distinct users on my linux
machine by looking at the subject and the sender.
IOW: The mailbox at my ISP is sort of a bottle-neck. Mails from different
locations are collected there and distributed to several user accounts on
a single machine. All those user accounts are owned by me.

Does multidrop apply here too?
I thought it is a mailbox where mails for different users are sent to.
For me, there are multiple senders but just on receiver (me at
haidinger(_at_)pgv(_dot_)at)

Thanks and regards, Walter

--
Haidinger Walter <walter(_dot_)haidinger(_at_)gmx(_dot_)net>
Student of Electrical Engineering, University of Technology, Vienna, Austria